Monday, December 1, 2008

Happy December!

Hello everyone! I cannot believe it is already December; the last three months have gone by so fast! And, this is the same month that I will be back home! Wow. It is so weird to think about. Thankfully, I still have two more weeks to cram in homework and London fun and then another week to show my parents and sister around. I can't wait!

I thought that you all may be interested in the new terminology I have picked up in Britain. There are so many small terms that may seem minimal in the grand scheme of things, but definitely are necessary to know to hold a conversation in which both people know what is actually being talked about.

You will all be quizzed on these when I get home, so pay close attention to them. :)

British terms compared to what we use in America

Chips - French Fries
Crisps - Chips
Lemonade - Sprite/7-Up
Queue - Line
Cheers - Thanks/Bye
Trolley - Shopping Cart
Mobile - Cell Phone
Flat - Apartment
Rubbish - Trash
Rubbish bin - Trash can
Bit - Piece
Lift - Elevator
Torch - Flashlight
fancy - like
Well-fit - attractive
Register - Roll call
Sauce - ketchup
Are you all right? - How are you?
Holiday - Vacation
Pavement - Sidewalk
Solicitor - Lawyer
Mind - Watch out for
Motorway - Highway
Mate - Friend
Pants - Underwear
Jumper - Sweater
Trainers - Sneakers/Tennis Shoes
Trousers - Pants
Fortnight - 2 weeks
Biscuits - Cookies
Pudding - Desserts
Pie - Pot Pie with Meat (not like Apple Pie)
Fancy Dress - Dressing up in costume (as in on Halloween)
Pitch - Field (as in Soccer Field)
Football/Footie - Soccer
Rubber - Eraser
Toast - Bread no matter what, it is always toast
Vest - Tank Top
Fringe - Bangs
Quid - Pounds (Similar to us saying "Bucks" instead of "Dollars")
Take Away - To Go
Let - Rent
Row - Fight
Wee - Little

Oh wow. I know there are so many more than this, but I hope you like them! I have also noticed that my friend Tanya, who is in Australia, has blogged about a few of these differences as well. They must use more British English in Australia than American English. :) If you would like to see some really great pictures/stories from Australia, head on over to her blog at http://schm1761.blogspot.com/.

1 comment:

T said...

Wow... so I was reading through your list and you caught so many more words than I did. When I went down I recognized them all, except here they call sidewalks "footpaths" and a parking garage is a "carpark" Enjoy your last three weeks, I know I will. The end is coming so soon. Its been great being abroad at the same time and keeping up with your blog:)