Sunday, November 30, 2008

My First Thanksgiving...

...away from home. This was the first time I had not celebrated Thanksgiving with my family, eating tons and tons of delicious food either at my grandparents' houses or at my own. But, the British did attempt to make us a Thanksgiving dinner. Even though they kind of failed, the gesture was definitely appreciated!
Me, Sarah, Kelsey and Bernie waiting for food!

Appetizers started off the meal with an assortment of meats, real Caesar salad (which means with sardines), the British version of potato salad, coleslaw and a pasta salad. Then on the main menu was turkey, roasted potatoes (not mashed - a big disappointment for all of us), stuffing balls (which we all thought were meatballs at first), and broccoli. There were also little sausages wrapped in bacon. It was a good attempt.

There was one saving grace: desserts. There was really delicious chocolate cake and actual pumpkin pie. I was very impressed by the pumpkin pie, especially since no one in Britain actually eats it. The apple pie was frozen, though, which was really odd to us. There was also fruit at dessert too!

Sarah was really, really excited for the pumpkin pie, so I had to document her first bite!
Veronica's bowl of desserts was definitely a tribute to how delicious they were. In her own words, they were "fabulous."

So, even though I did get turkey on Thanksgiving, I am hoping to always be home for the next ones. There is nothing better than Thanksgiving food at home!

1 comment:

T said...

The Australians attempted Thanksgiving too... also turkey and roasted potatoes! We did get cranberries, but no stuffing (not even balls) and they tried pumpkin pie but it wasn't real. Nice effort, but its just not the same as at home. I plan on eating twice as much at Christmas feasts to make up for it!