Wednesday, November 5, 2008

Our 44th President

As much as I absolutely love having the opportunity to be in England right now, I wish that just for one day this semester I could have been back in America. Election day yesterday was such an incredible rush here with us Americans buzzing about it and the Brits putting in their input, but I know it would have been even cooler in America...and I would be much less tired as I stayed up past 4am until Barack Obama was secured as the United States next president.

This is the first presidential election that I have taken an active role in. I remember the past two quite well and know that I watched the polls roll in for them, but this one felt much more personal. I think part of it is the fact that everyone is talking about it, reporting on it, and asking me who I am voting for. (This is especially true when I meet new people and they realize I am American.) The election of our next president is not only affecting America, and this has been shown to me in so many ways because of the places I have been in the last few months.

Since this blog is about my experience in London, I feel that this is a crucial point to blog about. History was made yesterday (this morning for me) as Obama was the first black man to ever be appointed to presidency. I know you all know this, but my roommates were all trying to think of the magnitude of this as we sat in our London loft. When we have grandchildren, my roommates and I are going to say that we watched the election in London, where the BBC tried to report as efficiently as possible but multiple technical difficulties, people talking over one another, and literal fights about journalists all busted out in between coverage of the election. It was definitely not the streamline CNN reporting that any of us are used to.

The same images and segments were put on repeat with the BBC, just as they are with CNN, but there were multiple instances in which no one knew what to say next. They didn't know if they were going to a reporter on-site, and if so the sound was almost never working. Reporters who were on-site were shown just chatting with party-goers instead of giving the latest updates a few times. And, an US ambassador to the UN was on the BBC and after one bit literally said "First of all, that reporter should be fired. He was fighting with that man and he should not be a credited journalist." Yes, the reporter was disagreeing with the man he was asking questions to, but there are cultural differences that must be recognized, as well. British journalism just isn't approached in the same way as American journalism is. There were loaded questions being asked multiple times (where the answer is within the question.) Anyways, it was very interesting to watch. In my British Broadcasting class we talk about differences in the way things are reported in the UK and the US, and I have experienced it first hand at my internship. This one example just shows how culture really does differ and matter between countries, even if they do speak the same language.

Well that is enough of that. To illustrate my claims that the world is included in this election, I am posting a few random photos I have taken in other countries. Obama had the majority of publicity everywhere - I rarely saw anything posted about McCain.

Graffiti down an alley near the Trevi Fountain in Rome, Italy.
A speech was being held to discuss issues relating to the campaign in Dublin, Ireland.
This cover of a magazine was plastered poster-size on almost every street in Paris, France.

One last difference in the elections is the way Barack Obama's name was said. I would have given anything to go to the BBC and tell their reporters that it is BA-Rock O-bah-ma, but instead they seemed very happy saying Ber-eck E-bah-mer. (A British accent adds an "r" to words ending in "a." For example, a girl named "Emma" would have her name pronounced "Emmer.") This was very annoying. They got McCain right, though.

And one final note: Remember, Remember the 5th of November. It's Guy Fawkes day!

No comments: