Thursday, July 17, 2008

Coffee

As many of you may know, I like my coffee.

This obsession began innocently enough in the San Francisco airport with my wonderful friend Sammi. We had just landed there from Tokyo, Japan, and were really anxious to get on the next flight to Denver so we could take yet another plane home. I was so lucky to have a friend who shared such a life-changing experience with me and who was also traveling with me all the way back to Sioux Falls, SD.

Well, we had just gotten through customs and I needed to go to the bathroom and Sam spotted a Starbucks. I told her to get me what she was getting, so she did and we met up by the gate. Well, turns out it was absolutely last call for our flight - they were literally saying our names to get on the plane! A caramel frappuccino almost made us miss our flight! Needless to say, it was one of the best drinks I have ever had. I sat by a large man who slept the entire way and I was bouncing off the walls, reading a Japanese magazine and looking out the window at America.

Fast forward 4 years later and here I am again, drinking my morning cup of coffee. There have been multiple times in which I have suspended my coffee drinking. For example, just this last Christmas I wanted a coffee maker so bad, and I got one! As great as that coffee maker is, I realized that I was using it WAY to often. I started drinking much more than one cup of coffee a day and my friends kept joking that I couldn't quit. Me, being me, was of course stubborn enough to show everyone that I, in fact, could quit and switched over to tea for around 2 1/2 months. Then, finals week came back and so did the coffee.

Why am I writing about coffee? Well yesterday, my co-worker Erin and I had both decided that we drink too much coffee and that we were going to quit drinking it for awhile. I had gotten tea and she had gotten de-caf (which to me is the same thing as quitting coffee.) But today, here we both are again, with some of the best cups of coffee we have both had in a long time, fully caffeinated. My world that has involved coffee is a strange cycle, one in which I am so happy started in such a great way as now Sam and my favorite place to meet up is Starbucks. =)

(Here is Sam and me at my graduation.)

No comments: