Thursday, October 30, 2008

Dublin Day 3 - Guinness Factory!

We all slept in a little bit this Sunday morning. But sleeping in in a hostel, really doesn't mean sleeping in . Everyone else is up and moving, so we all got up and moving, too. We started off the day with a little trip to Trinity College. If I would ever transfer to a school in Ireland, this one has my name ALL over it. It was gorgeous.
Inside the main square.

We then walked to St. Stephen's Green, a park in the centre of Dublin. (I just noticed I keep writing center as centre. It's that dang British English spelling that I am getting used to through IT Pro.)
The park was very beautiful and had both Mallard ducks and swans! Fall in Ireland is wonderful.
Mary Kate and I going to get a closer look at the water.
We stopped to take a quick picture with the legendary Molly Malone. Here is Mary Kate, me, Andrea, Veronica, Banni and Erica. And Molly Malone, of course.

All of this walking was on a mission to take a tour of the Guinness Factory.
Outside of the factory - Veronica, Erica, me, Andrea, Mary Kate.
Inside the factory! Me, Veronica, Mary Kate and Erica. We did a self-guided tour where we had a tasting of the Guinness that was being brewed that day. We also tried some of the barley that is used and saw how the entire brewing process works.
There was an entire wall of these cards where visitors could leave messages! If you can't read it ours says: CAPA London loves Guinness! (and Irish boys!) With our names and schools (UMass Amherst and University of Minnesota) on it! :)

Then, at the very end of the tour you go up to the 7th floor of the building (which used to be the highest in the city) and get your own pint of Guinness free with your admission. I was very nice to the man who was pouring mine and got him to make me a clover in the foam!
Cool, huh?
Mary Kate, Andrea, me and Veronica all ready to try our fresh Guinness. Turns out, I really don't like Guinness. I think Veronica tried to drink what I couldn't, but she couldn't finish it either. This was one of Andrea's favorites, though.
A view of the city and St. Patrick's Cathedral (on the left) from the top of the Guinness Factory.
The famous Temple Bar! There was great live music going on inside this night - just like a scene in P.S. I Love You.
Beautiful Dublin at night. This was our last night in this wonderful city. Next stop - Galway!

No comments: