Saturday, September 6, 2008

CAPA Reception Dinner

For our first Friday night in London, CAPA put together a reception dinner for all of us to mingle and eat together. The event was held at Doggett's, which is right on the Thames River. The views were amazing. I would have gotten pictures, but it was night and there were many showers going one after another so everything was just showing up black. Anyways, the atmosphere was really great - everyone was getting to know one another, enjoying free London food, and having drinks. This is also the place where we all discovered the drink Pimm's lemonade (lemonade means Sprite or a soft drink that is equivalent. They don't actually serve American lemonade in pubs/restaurants here.)

Three of my roommates, Heather, Veronica and Andrea, and I before we headed to Doggett's. Our other roommate, Amy, stayed back because her luggage was supposed to (and did!) come that night.Andrea, Kelsey and I at Doggett's.

A really great part of the evening was the walk to get there. After we took a few different tube stops, we got to walk across the Thames and saw the Tower Bridge at night. It really made all of us realize that we are in London!

After our party, a bunch of us went back to a neighborhood area that is near our flats called Upper Street and went to an Australian pub called WalkAbout. There were many Australians and British people alike and they had a different sport on each television, along with a DJ and dancing floor. A group of us at the Australian bar. I have no idea who the man in the background with the peace sign is...I think he was one of the Australians.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Looks like fun! Love Mom

Anonymous said...

Looks like you are feeling better! So glad you made it over there OK and are getting settled in so quickly! Hope you like your flat-mates...seen any good blokes yet? :) Nightlife in Europe is so different from small-town midwest! Sounds like you've already found a good drink over there - them British know their alcohol! ;) An interesting drink that I remember was a snakebite...it's some kind of beer (not ale...maybe bitter?) mixed with liquor (blackberry brandy i think)...YUM! ANYWAYS...if I knew how to make this text green, I would. I am SO JEALOUS of you right now, Jenae!!

janaetime said...

Some of the British people we met told us to drink a snakebite. I haven't tried it yet, but a few of the people I know tried it. The British men were saying how strong it was, but my roommates didn't seem to think it was that strong...I guess I just need to try it soon!